[cups.general] LaserJet 5 print quality

Alex Zepeda usenet at blarf.homeip.net
Thu Sep 15 17:57:46 PDT 2005

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:43:52 -0400, Till Kamppeter wrote:

> Have you already compared "accurate" and "well-tempered"? Which one
> gives the better results? Try also to tune the "gamma" option of CUPS
> (see http://localhost:631/sum.html or http://www.cups.org/sum.html) if
> one of the two gives you too light or too dark images. Post your results
> here.

Yes, the two halftoning methods yield nearly identical results.  The nod
would go to accurate.

>From the looks of the image, when printed with the gimp-print 4.2.7
driver, the default contrast of 1.0 is much too high. Unfortunately,
lowering the contrast appropriately (about 0.80 makes the image look
reasonable) also turns any white areas into gray.

Turning the gamma down to about 0.90 make a significant improvement, but
the quality was still much lower than either the ljet or CUPS driver.

I had tried tweaking the gimp-print driver before posting, but I also
didn't feel like using that much toner and paper to fine tune the driver.

--
alex