USB printer not showing up

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Sep 18 10:32:23 PDT 2005

Wim wrote:
> Cups was compiled manually from "cups-1.2svn-r4629-source.tar.bz2".
>
> I've restarted cups a few times, but that didn't help.

Recent 1.2 snapshots (umm, 4627 and higher) no longer need to be
restarted when a device is added - CUPS now checks for devices on
demand (i.e. when you try to add a printer or request a list of
devices)

Are you running with the "RunAsUser" option set to "yes"?

What output do you get if you run the backend by hand, e.g.:

     /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb