USB printer not showing up

Wim anonymous at easysw.com
Sun Sep 18 10:54:59 PDT 2005

> Recent 1.2 snapshots (umm, 4627 and higher) no longer need to be
> restarted when a device is added - CUPS now checks for devices on
> demand (i.e. when you try to add a printer or request a list of
> devices)
>
> Are you running with the "RunAsUser" option set to "yes"?
I don't see that option in cupd.conf, so I guess not. Should I?

> What output do you get if you run the backend by hand, e.g.:
>
>      /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb
None...

I just made some progress on my own. If I did "mknod /dev/lp0 c 180 0" and now everything I send to that device (ex. "echo test > /dev/lp0") does get printed.

Cups still doesn't show an usb printer, but now it now lists a parallel printer. I can't print with it though... strange.

Ah, perhaps I should mention that I'm running the printserver on a NSLU2(openslug distro), so linux runs on an ARM processor. This means some things are a bit minimalistic (or downright strange). Perhaps I'm missing some feature most modern distros have by default?

Ah, and thanks a lot for helping!