[cups.general] web interface - pam access - couldn't get the tty name

George Diamantopoulos georgediam at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 15:01:18 PDT 2005

Hello!

I've been fiddling with kerberos/pam/ldap recently and I've run into
problems with cups. Although things seem to be working fine, I just can't
login to cups's web interface. At first I thought it might be a kerberos
issue, since I'm a real noob when it comes to kerberos/ldap, but it turned
out this is not the case since after removing the pam_krb5 option from
/etc/pam.d/system-auth, the problem persists. What I mean is that each time
I try to login to the web interface, I am once again asked to enter
username/password as if I provided the wrong values. All I get is the
following entry in /var/log/messages:
Sep 19 10:50:00 gaea pam_access[24862]: couldn't get the tty name

I have enabled access from any computer on the subnet in cupsd.conf, and set
Systemgroup = root

I can't figure out what might be wrong. I am not including any additional
debug info with this message since I have absolutely no idea what I should
provide. However, since the problem seems to be pam-related, here's my
system-auth file contents:

#%PAM-1.0

auth required pam_env.so
auth sufficient pam_unix.so likeauth nullok shadow
auth required pam_krb5.so use_first_pass forwardable
auth required pam_deny.so
#auth sufficient pam_ldap.so use_first_pass

account required pam_unix.so
account required pam_access.so
account [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore service_err=ignore
system_err=ignore] pam_krb5.so
account required pam_access.so
#account sufficient pam_ldap.so

password required pam_cracklib.so difok=2 minlen=8 dcredit=2 ocredit=2
retry=3
password sufficient pam_unix.so nullok md5 shadow use_authtok
password required pam_krb5.so use_authtok
password required pam_deny.so
#password sufficient pam_ldap.so use_authtok

session required pam_limits.so
session required pam_unix.so
session required pam_krb5.so
session required pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0
#session optional pam_ldap.so

Any help would be deeply appreciated...
Thank you in advance,
George