Can CUPS Browse Windows Shared Printers?

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Thu Sep 22 05:12:45 PDT 2005

Hi,

I am investigating implemeting a single print server system.

We will be using Windowsas the primary system as most of our machines are Windows based, I know CUPS and SAMBA could be used, but its not going to be.  I was thinking it would be nice to be able to get our Linux and Solaris CUPS installations to also print through this new set up.

Worst case scenario I can use a dedicated CUPS server using the smbspool backend pointing to the Windows shared printers.  I would need to add the printers to the CUPS server manually as well as to the Windows server, but the other UNIX servers can then browse the CUPS server so I have significantly reduced administation time.

However, I was wondering if its possible to get CUPS to autodiscover or browse the Windows printers without any administration on the CUPS print server at all. This would then relay to the other CUPS installations meaning that I only have one point of installation.

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

AM