Can CUPS Browse Windows Shared Printers?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Sep 22 06:24:18 PDT 2005

Anonymous wrote:
> However, I was wondering if its possible to get CUPS to autodiscover
> or browse the Windows printers without any administration on the CUPS
> print server at all. This would then relay to the other CUPS
> installations meaning that I only have one point of installation.

No, that just isn't possible since there is no way to get a PPD file
from the Windows system, and in Windows every client sends a raw
printer data stream instead of a printer-independent format (yes,
I know there are ways to send EMF files, but that is not the default
and doesn't help us with CUPS...)