update on brother 5170dn problems

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sun Sep 25 09:58:54 PDT 2005

I want to say that the support folks a brother have been really good.  I
do appreciate the help they have given me.  But it's beginning to look
like the problem is actually two problems.

First: when the triggering event happens, the printer locks up.  This
should never happen.  But it does and I'm getting accustomed to power
cycling the printer.

second: the triggering event itself depends on application.  If I print
a test page or 10 or 15 pages of plaintext from open office, everything
works fine.  If I print a graphics intensive page (cartoon such as "get
fuzzy") from either Firefox or epiphany, the printer locks up.
Unfortunately I haven't had any time to test out other boundary
conditions but this is smelling more like a cup's problem.  If my
intuition is wrong, please say so.  But in the end, my goal is to get
this nice[1] printer working and not have to go purchase a new printer.

--- eric

[1] I've come to understand how nice it is by printing from Windows and
it's really nice.  The duplexer, the high-resolution print are all
wonderful.