Limiting list of printers seen by user?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Sep 26 04:50:29 PDT 2005

Erik Forsberg wrote:
> I assume that all parts of the chain need to be updated, i.e. both
> CUPS libraries and server?

Yes.  The core functionality is implemented in the CUPS server, but
the client also needs to send the requesting-user-name attribute to
get the limited list...

> Will existing programs, compiled against an older CUPS library
> version, work with a newer CUPS library that provides this
> functionality?

Yes, the CUPS 1.2 libraries are binary compatible with CUPS 1.1.x.

>>(There is still an issue with this and remote printers, but
>>that should be resolved in an upcoming snapshot...)
>

> Is there a STR entry for this? I can't find it.

There are (at least) two STRs for browsing that cover this; basically,
we need to add attributes to the end of each browse packet so that
the information is passed to the client...