Fixed Re: Re: access_log writes entry every 5 seconds

Paul Campbell pwc at u.washington.edu
Mon Sep 26 12:09:09 PDT 2005

Thanks. Should this be an FAQ?
I was running RH Enterprise 3.
I found a printer icon that called /usr/bin/tryprint.pl.
It was associated with desktop-printing.
rpm -e desktop-printing fixed it.
This problem has been bugging me for years and
I have unfairly blamed CUPS.

So, if you see a 5 second pool someone,
not CUPS is doing that.

PS: I looked at the tryprint.pl and could not find where is
was doing a 5 sec poll but I don't need the functionality anyway.

PSPS: Yes, will look at xfce4.
I agree Gnome has too many annoying processes.