Can't set default printer

Jeffrey Goldberg nobody at goldmark.org
Mon Sep 26 19:23:21 PDT 2005

When I run lpadmin as root on my SuSE 9.3 system, to set a default
printer, I get

# lpadmin -d HFC-8440
lpadmin: set-default failed: client-error-not-found

A first (and reasonable guess) would be that CUPS doesn't know about the
printer.

HFC-8440 is connected via USB to another host on the local network,
doing both SMB printer sharing and IPP.  (It's CUPS on OS X)

I do have reason to believe that CUPS knows about this printer because
when I use http://localhost:631/ and go to printers it is listed.  And
using that interface, I can successfully print a test page.

But when I use that web based system to set this printer as a default
printer I get.

  Forbidden

  You don't have permission to access the resource on this server.

I have used

   lppasswd -g sys -u root

to set up a root account, the :631 server doesn't seem to be asking me
for a user name and password.

It looks to me that I have two, possibly separate problems.

(1) CUPS is "seeing" this remote printer in some fashions, but not others

(2) Some kind of authentication/authorization problem through the web
interface.

The two problems are conspiring in a way that makes the printing system
unusable to me.

Can someone help me out here.  The more I read about IPP the more I'm
convinced that it is the "right thing".  But if I can't get it to work,
I'll have to resort to using LPD

Cheers,

-j