[cups.general] Forcing Greyscale, works with unix - not windows

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Sep 27 04:54:18 PDT 2005

Brad Langhorst wrote:

> Henk.Roose at cwi.nl wrote:
> > Brad Langhorst wrote:
> >

> >>I have a color printer... I've modified the PPD according to these posts
> >>http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.printing.cups.general/10995
> >>
> >>Now users only have the black and white option from the cups interface.
> >>I did find that I had to both restart cups AND go back through the
> >>"modify printer" step in the web UI to get changes to the ppd to take
> >>effect.
> >>
> >>Unfortunately windows jobs still make it through in color. On top of
> >>that every job prints out a page saying
> >>"
> >>ERROR: undefined
> >>OFFENDING COMMAND: userdict
> >>
> >>STACK:
> >>"
> >>
> >>two questions...
> >>1) how do I get rid of the error message
> >>2) how do I make the windows jobs lose their color info
> >

> > Maybe I can help you but I'd like to ask a few questions first.
> > How do the windows clients print? Is your unix box a samba server? Do
> > the clients use lpr or tcp/ip printing? What kind of printer is it?
> >

> thanks for your response...
> the windows clients print via samba (cups backend)
> The clients use standard SMB printing.
> (All the jobs flow through cups)
>
> brad

Did you install your printers on the win box(es) via cupsaddsmb (or the equivalent
"by hand" procedure described in the samba howto)? If not, your PPD modifications
won't have copied over to the windows box; you'd have to redo the modifications "by hand"
again on the windows box.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke