Limiting list of printers seen by user?

Erik Forsberg forsberg at cendio.se
Wed Sep 28 02:40:56 PDT 2005

Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> writes:

> > Will existing programs, compiled against an older CUPS library
> > version, work with a newer CUPS library that provides this
> > functionality?
>
> Yes, the CUPS 1.2 libraries are binary compatible with CUPS 1.1.x.

Excellent!

> >>(There is still an issue with this and remote printers, but
> >>that should be resolved in an upcoming snapshot...)
> > Is there a STR entry for this? I can't find it.
>
> There are (at least) two STRs for browsing that cover this; basically,
> we need to add attributes to the end of each browse packet so that
> the information is passed to the client...

I suspected something like that would be needed.

In a possible use case, I have one master CUPS and several client
CUPSes that receive printer definitions via browsing.

Will configuring permissions on one of the CUPS clients work? I.e., if
I run lpadmin -u deny:joe on one of the clients, will joe be
disallowed to print to that printer from that client, or from all
clients? Or must I configure permission on the master CUPS for this to
work well?

On the same matter - what permissions do I need to have to configure
allow/deny lists for a printer? Can I do it remotely with a
non-root-user?

\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
Cendio AB                    Phone: +46-13-21 46 00