Launching an application from CUPS Backend

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Sep 1 04:07:27 PDT 2005

Mohit Kumar wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am writing a backend for CUPS, which would finally print a pdf file. However, after printing I want to open this application in any PDF Viewer, say Adobe Reader.
>
> Is it possible for me to do so?
>
> I had tried to "execvp" Adobe Reader with the name of the file as the argument, but nothing happened. So I was wondering if there is something that can be done in this regard or some one has some mechanism to make this working.
>
> Any kind of help would be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Mohit

You need to launch a process under the id of the user who requested the print operation.
And, this will only be feasible if the CUPS server and the user's workstation is the
same machine. If not, you almost certailny will run into trouble with remote execution
and/or display access rights.

Perhaps you can afford to wait for a stable CUPS 1.2 and then hook to the notification
mechanism to launch your viewer at the client's side.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung