Epson AL C1100 printer works partly...

Marcel Zeeuw mzeeuw at terra-zee.nl
Thu Apr 6 06:20:45 PDT 2006

I've encountered a strange problem:

I've attached a Epson AL C1100 GDI printer via USB to my Gentoo Linux server. Installed the server with the lot CUPS, hpijs and foomatic.

Printing from a Windows 98|XP client goes OK by making use of the original printer driver connected to the cups share over Samba.

Printing from Mac OSX does work when I do this:

lp -d EPSON_AL_C1100 -h <MY_GENTOO_HOST> -t testprint /usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps

However I'm not able to send any correct printing form the regular Mac OSX dialog. I connected over 'IP' -> 'LPD/LPR'.

Installing the printer as a Postscript printer, ppd driver Epson-AL-C1100-fm3.ppd (shows up with 'EPSON AL-C1100, ESC/PageS Filter'), shows this in the /var/log/cups/error_log file:

'print_job: No file!?!'

Selecting a standard postscript driver, makes the 'DATA' LED of the printer blink for some time, and then nothing.

I do not have a clue.