HP Officejet Pro K550

bernd.gliss at mf.mpg.de bernd.gliss at mf.mpg.de
Fri Apr 7 02:33:49 PDT 2006

> PPD files from linuxprinting.org are usually for the newest version of
> the appropriate driver. So to get the best of your printer using the PPD
> especially made for it you need to update to the newest HPLIP from
> http://hpinkjet.sf.net/.
>
> As not too old HP inkjets are more or less compatible to each other, you
> could also choose a recent Business Inkjet or PhotoSmart model to get
> your printer working (or an OfficeJet if your printer has a built-in
> scanner). But note that perhaps not everything of your printer will work
> then.
>
>    Till

thanks Till, I chose the lazy way to ameliorate the problem by installing the old officeJet driver that comes with SuSE 9.2.  Now the printer prints at least in black and white.  According to this list the new driver with hpijs should be available with SuSE 10.1.  Let's hope this will be true.

I assume the only other alternative would be to install HPLIP (latest edition) and then install the driver.

Bernd