PPD EOJ string vs. banner pages (1.2rc1)

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery+cups at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Apr 7 08:21:35 PDT 2006

> Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> >         0x01b0:  2545 4f46 0a40 504a 4c20 454f 4a0a 4050  %EOF. at PJL.EOJ.@P
> >         0x01c0:  4a4c 204c 504f 5254 524f 5441 5445 0a1b  JL.LPORTROTATE..
> >         0x01d0:  252d 3132 3334 3558                      %-12345X
> >
> > (The banner passes "cupstestdsc", and in fact I have replicated this with the stock "standard" banner as well as our custom one.)
> >
> > The DSC file is taken from the Windows printer driver for the Dell W5300.
> >
> > Where should I be looking to resolve this issue?
>
> Well, if the JCLEnd command string in the PPD is not recognized by
> the printer, you could try removing it, or just post that line from
> the PPD file here...

You can actually see the key part in the trace quoted above:  the JCLEnd assumes the printer is not in PostScript mode when it's sent.

   *% === Job Control Language ==

   *JCLBegin: "<1B>%-12345X at PJL JOB<0A>"
   *JCLToPSInterpreter: "@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = Postscript <0A>"
   *JCLEnd: "@PJL EOJ<0A>@PJL LPORTROTATE<0A><1B>%-12345X"

I tried adding <04><1B>%-12345X to end the PostScript job and return to PJL, but am not sure that's the correct action --- I do not know if it's supposed to be up to CUPS, the banner page, or the PPD (or something else?) to begin or end the PS job.