Landscape printing: OS X to linux CUPS server

Philip Crewdson philip at state51.co.uk
Fri Apr 7 16:36:07 PDT 2006

Hello,

I am trying desperately to print landscape documents from my Mac and nothing I do has made any difference whatsoever.

The problem (as discussed previously) seems to be that when printing from applications (but not from lpr) MacOS 10.4 draws the page so that it will print in Portrait orientation, and then sends the magic "orientation-requested=4" flag, which causes CUPS to rotate it again.

http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?gcups.general+v:23496
http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?gcups.bugs+v:2032

The only thing I can think of that we may not have done is install the CUPS version of pdftops. So is this really the magic wand that will fix the issue, or is there something blindingly obvious that I'm missing? It just seems incredible that it should be so hard to do something so many people would want to do.

Any Mac users out there want to make me look stupid?

Philip