Landscape printing: OS X to linux CUPS server

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Apr 11 04:16:50 PDT 2006

I suspect it is a design bug in Apple's print dialogue stuff. The PDF correctly sets the media box
to [0 0 842 595], which is clearly landscape, but the print dialogue stuff sets the media to A4
(which is portrait, it should be A4-transverse or the like, according to the PPD) and specifies
the requested orientation to 4. On the other hand, if the pdftops filter you use on your
print server (the pdftops from the xpdf suite) gets the option "-paper=A4" as in this case,
the filter already changes the media to a portrait page and rotates the page content accordingly.
You may verify this by the 2 commands
	pdftops -paper match printertest.pdf test1.ps
which shows, when views with gs or gv, a true landscape page (i.e. the width greater than the height),
and
	pdftops -paper A4 printertest.pdf test2.ps
which shows a portrait page with a properly rotated content (i.e. you'd have to turn your head
or the screen accordingly). Thus, the orientation-requested=4 results in an additional rotation.

You could try the pdftops filter that originally comes with CUPS and see what happens then.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung