[cups.general] No reaction from Canon iP3100 using CUPS

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Wed Apr 12 09:26:53 PDT 2006

CUPS General List,

I have a Canon Pixus iP3100, and Ubuntu Linux, Dapper Drake 6.04. This
printer used to be attached to an older computer with Ubuntu Breezy
Badger 5.10, and worked flawlessly when printing from CUPS. However,
after upgrading the computer, and following the same installation
procedure, the printer no longer works.

I have been seeking help from the Ubuntu mailing list and my local Linux
user's group. But after several weeks, progress on trying to find the
problem has stalled. So it is with some amount of desperation that I
have turned to this list in hopes of finding help.

Before I outline details, please be aware that I am an end-user of
Linux, and can not be counted on to know all the necessary commands to
diagnose and solve problems. If any explanations are offered, please
make them newbie-friendly.

First, the directions I followed for installing the printer can be found
here:
http://www.techbuilder.org/recipes/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=167600449&printableArticle=true

The main difference is that I have the Japanese model of the printer, so
the drivers referenced in the article as being available from Canon's
Japanese site actually match my printer exactly.

I installed the printer using the CUPS interface. I used the custom PPD
file created following the instructions of the site. The printer was
connected to my USB port and turned on when I installed it.

When I click to print a test page, the printer does not respond in any way.

In the CUPS interface, the status changes to "stopped". The "State" of
the print job remains "pending" indefinitely. If I try to cancel the
job, it returns the error:
Error
client-error-forbidden

I can, however, press "Cancel all jobs", then all jobs will be purged,
and I can restart the printer. However, despite the printer status being
started, any attempt to print will recreate the conditions outlined above.

This is the current status of my printer. I have, over the last few
weeks managed to vary the types of errors I've received, by changing
settings, largely through random experimentation. Earlier today, I
completely reinstalled CUPS and changed the USB cables to attempt a
fresh start. But the situation described above is representative of how
it has been since I got the new computer. At no time since I attached
the printer to the new computer has it printed anything. (It still
prints from the old computer, so the printer is working).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have included some output from
the various commands that I have come across below. If there is anything
else I can do to diagnose or solve this problem, please let me know.

dpkg-reconfigure cupsys
(I did this and went with the default options)

dave at homebase:~$ tail /var/log/cups/error_log
E [13/Apr/2006:01:04:29 +0900] [Job 2] Unable to open USB port device
file: No such file or directory
E [13/Apr/2006:01:04:29 +0900] PID 29720 stopped with status 1!
E [13/Apr/2006:01:04:36 +0900] Purge-Jobs: Unauthorized
E [13/Apr/2006:01:04:39 +0900] Resume-Printer: Unauthorized

dave at homebase:~$ lpadmin -p Canon -v /dev/usblp0
lpadmin: File device URIs have been disabled! To enable, see the
FileDevice directive in "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf".
(I attempted to insert a FileDevice directive in cupsd.conf prior to
re-installing CUPS. Other than removing this error, it had no effect on
the printer)

dave at homebase:~$ more /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
#
#
#   Sample configuration file for the Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS)
#   scheduler.  See "man cupsd.conf" for a complete description of this
#   file.
#

# Log general information in error_log - change "info" to "debug" for
# troubleshooting...
LogLevel warning

# Administrator user group...
SystemGroup lpadmin
RunAsUser Yes

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
# Listen localhost:631
# Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

# Show shared printers on the local network.
# Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow @LOCAL

# Default authentication type, when authentication is required...
DefaultAuthType Basic

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
</Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
</Location>

# Restrict access to configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Basic
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
</Location>

# Set the default printer/job policies...
<Policy default>
  # Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an adminstrator...
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job
Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription
Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job
Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job
CUPS-Move-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

  # All administration operations require an adminstrator to authenticate...
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes
Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job
Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs
Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer
Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer
CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs
CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Basic
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

  # Only the owner or an administrator can cancel or authenticate a job...
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

  <Limit All>