[cups.general] IPP problem with Lexmark T620

Jukka Salmi j+cups at 2006.salmi.ch
Wed Apr 12 14:09:47 PDT 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to get CUPS 1.1.23 (running on NetBSD 2.1) to work with a
Lexmark T620 printer.

The printer seems to work fine: when connected via ethernet, I'm able
to connect using ftp and upload postscript documents. Furthermore,
printing the test page from CUPS works fine, too.

However, when trying to print files using CUPS's lp(1) on the host
running cupsd, the printer receives data over the network but doesn't
print anything. On the printer display I can see it switching to
postscript and then to print job language - but nothing is printed.

If I configure CUPS to print banner pages before and after the page
(lpoptions -o job-sheets=standard,standard), both banner pages are
printed, but not the document I try to print...

Setting CUPS's LogLevel to debug2 didn't help me finding an indication
of what could be wrong. In case anybody is interested: [1]here's what
cupsd logs while I'm trying to print a text file.

Capturing network traffic between CUPS and the printer shows that cupsd
connects to the printer's IPP port and sends some PJL commands (`JOB
NAME', `DISPLAY', `ENTER LANGUAGE = Postscript') and something which
looks like a postscript header to me, followed by `currentdict end',
`currentfile eexec' and several hundred lines of hexnumbers, 60
characters each. Honestly, I have no idea if this helps...

If I connect the printer via USB instead of ethernet, printing with
CUPS works fine! Hmm, almost fine: when printing plain text, the first
page printed always contains just these two lines:

	n)"
	   @PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = Postscript

followed by pages with the text from the file passed to lp(1).

What could be the problem here? I.e. why is nothing printed when the
printer is connected via ethernet? And why is this PJL command printed
when connected via USB?

Please tell if I should provide more information. This is my first
CUPS setup, as you may have noticed...

Help is appreciated.

TIA, Jukka

[1] http://salmi.ch/~jukka/cups.log