/etc/cups/mime.types getting re-written

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Mon Apr 17 10:27:46 PDT 2006

> Tim Harvey wrote:
> > I'm having trouble with my cups system where the /etc/cups/mime.types file continues to get re-written, perhaps once a day but I'm not sure.  Every time it gets re-written, I run into the issue here: http://samba.imasd.elmundo.es/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html#cups-raw regarding 'application/octet-stream' getting commented.
> >
> > What could be causing this?  I'm running on a fairly standard FC4 system:
> > cups-1.1.23-15.1
> > samba-3.0.14a-2
>
> The file will get rewritten whenever you update CUPS.
>
> You probably want to create a separate .types file in /etc/cups with
> your changes in it (you can duplicate MIME type definitions without
> difficulties...)

By 'update' do you mean installing a new version of cups?  Because I know this is not occuring.  Besides, I would think that would also clobber the change in mime.convs which it is not.  I've had to uncomment the 'application/octet-stream' line in /etc/cups/mime.types about 5 times over the last 2 weeks (since updating to cups-1.1.23-15.1) and I would expect to only have needed to do it once.  I've only had to uncomment the line beginning with 'application/octet-stream' once in /etc/cups/mime.convs since the update

Regardless, I see what your talking about here: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html#id2602283

I will add a /etc/cups/custom.types with 'application/octet-stream' and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Tim