/etc/cups/mime.types getting re-written

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Apr 19 06:00:35 PDT 2006

> Tim Harvey wrote:
> > I'm having trouble with my cups system where the /etc/cups/mime.types file continues to get re-written, perhaps once a day but I'm not sure.  Every time it gets re-written, I run into the issue here: http://samba.imasd.elmundo.es/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html#cups-raw regarding 'application/octet-stream' getting commented.
> >
> > What could be causing this?  I'm running on a fairly standard FC4 system:
> > cups-1.1.23-15.1
> > samba-3.0.14a-2
>
> The file will get rewritten whenever you update CUPS.
>
> You probably want to create a separate .types file in /etc/cups with
> your changes in it (you can duplicate MIME type definitions without
> difficulties...)

Uhmm... aren't all the *.types files read in a certain order
(like, alphabetically)? And doesn't the type definition "win"
that is read last (in case there are 2 conflicting definitions
in 2 separate files)? And in case the last file read has a
"commented out" line for one entry that is there in the default
mime.types file, this uncommenting is not being honored? (I
agree that commenting out will happen farely rarely though).

Cheers,
Kurt