A secure user

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Apr 19 14:56:59 PDT 2006

Jim Hranicky wrote:
> I don't this this would be too hard to do -- does anyone on the
> list think this is a good idea? If so, can anyone think of any
> issues that would arise?

The main thing with certificate-based authentication is that you need
to provide a way to register/load the user certificates on the server
and associate them with specific usernames...

Also, you'll want to have some way to validate the server's
certificate before proceeding, as otherwise you might end up
disclosing those certificates to an imposter.

Finally, it would be nice if this worked with browsers - I think
most browsers allow you to load user certificates into your browser
for this purpose...

All of these things should be in the CUPS STR database (if not,
please add them :) for inclusion in a future CUPS release...