[cups.general] remote serial printers with modems

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Apr 19 14:59:07 PDT 2006

David Koski wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions on how to print to remote serial printers that
> are connected only to a modem. On the CUPS server side there will be a modem
> that needs to direct the various queues to specific printers by dialing the
> modem using a specific phone number according to which queue it is printing
> from. Therefore, only one print job will print at a time. Would creating
> a /usr/lib/cups/backend/custom-serial or similar be the best approach? If so,
> where would I find documentation to do that?

Yes, a custom backend would be perfect for this.  "man backend" and
the various programming documentation (on-line help, old CUPS SPM,
the CUPS Book, etc.) are the best sources of information on this
sort of thing, plus you can look at the CUPS sources for ways to
control access to the ports.

Finally, I actually wrote a small book on serial programming,
available at:

     http://www.easysw.com/~mike/serial/