[cups.general] Can't print to IBM 3130 AFP

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Apr 20 03:39:09 PDT 2006

Hello,

On Apr 19 11:53 Bob Dehn wrote (shortened):
> I am trying to configure CUPS (SLES 9)

If you have a support contract with us, use our contact address
according to this contract.

> print to an IBM 3130 AFP (laser) using the lpd URI.

Which CUPS DeviceURI (in /etc/cups/printers.conf) do you use
at the moment?

> I can print to it from an NT server with a port in
> the form of PRT3130:AFCCU2.

I don't know what exactly "PRT3130:AFCCU2" means.
I guess "PRT3130" is the host-name of the network printer
and "AFCCU2" is the remote LPD queue name.

You need the host-name of the network printer and the
remote LPD queue name to set it up.
On the remote system (i.e. in your network printer) there is a lpd
(line printer daemon) listening at port 515  and you have to specify
a print queue name for this remote lpd (a lpd prints via queues).
Usually such a remote lpd accepts any queue name (i.e. "foo")
but sometimes you must specify the right remote queue name
(often something like the usual Windows printer names like "LPT"
or "LPT1" or similar).
See the documentation of your network printer which queue names
are correct for it.

If you use YaST to set it up:
What is the result of the "test connection" in YaST?

Kind Regards,
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de