[cups.general] _adminGetServerSettings

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Apr 20 05:27:29 PDT 2006

Tim Waugh wrote:
> Are the functions in adminutil.h part of the CUPS API?

Yes.

That said, this header contains both public and private APIs.

The public APIs are cupsAdminExportSamba and cupsAdminCreateWindowsPPD.
These functions will not change incompatibly in future CUPS releases.
If we need to do this, we'll rev the API - cupsAdminCreateWindowsPPD2,
for example.

The private APIs are _cupsAdminGetServerSettings() and
_cupsAdminSetServerSettings().  These functions will not change
incompatibly in CUPS 1.2.x, but we reserve the right to change them
incompatibly *without* revving the API in later minor releases.  In
this particular case, we don't anticipate making major changes, but
since they are a new API we may find ways to improve the interface
for 1.3.  I suspect we'll make them part of the public API (no
leading underscore) in CUPS 1.3 with stubs with the private API
names if they prove useful in their current form.

As for using these APIs in programs, we only recommend using the
public APIs.  You *can* use the private APIs as long as you are OK
dealing with any compatibility issues when CUPS 1.3 comes out.