[cups.general] IPP problem with Lexmark T620

Jukka Salmi j+cups at 2006.salmi.ch
Thu Apr 20 06:07:53 PDT 2006

Hi,

I've run some tests with CUPS 1.1.23 and 1.2rc2 on a Lexmark T620
PostScript printer (using the PPD referenced below) connected via
ethernet.

At first I configured CUPS to connect to the printer using IPP, with
the following results:

- With CUPS 1.1.23 almost everything worked fine, except that I wasn't
  able to print plaintext files (I tried with `lptest | lpr'): CUPS
  status (according to the log) was OK, but the printer didn't print
  anything... Additionally, some (but not all) PDF files triggered a
  PostScript error on the printer.

- With CUPS 1.2rc2 I wasn't able to print anything, not even the CUPS
  test page: the CUPS ipp daemon always received `bad-request' from the
  printer. I tried printer firmware versions 54.30.06 and 54.30.55,
  always with the same results.

I then reconfigured CUPS to connect to the printer using LPD:

- With CUPS 1.1.23 everything worked fine; I was even able to print
  the PDF files which failed when connected using IPP.

- With CUPS 1.2rc2 I was able to print everything except PDF files:
  CUPS status was OK, but nothing was printed...

So, there seems to be a regression regarding IPP.

And, hmm, what could be the reason why printing some PDF files failed
when sent to IPP but succeeded when sent to LPD? Does CUPS really
generate the same PostScript output? In case it does, this problem is
probably a printer bug...

Regards, Jukka

Jukka Salmi --> cups (2006-04-12 23:46:07 +0200):
> I probably should have mentioned that I'm using the PPD file from the
> printer vendor's site:
>
> 	http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?fileID=910
>
> Jukka Salmi --> cups (2006-04-12 22:47:56 +0200):
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to get CUPS 1.1.23 (running on NetBSD 2.1) to work with a
> > Lexmark T620 printer.
> >
> > The printer seems to work fine: when connected via ethernet, I'm able
> > to connect using ftp and upload postscript documents. Furthermore,
> > printing the test page from CUPS works fine, too.
> >
> > However, when trying to print files using CUPS's lp(1) on the host
> > running cupsd, the printer receives data over the network but doesn't
> > print anything. On the printer display I can see it switching to
> > postscript and then to print job language - but nothing is printed.
> >
> > If I configure CUPS to print banner pages before and after the page
> > (lpoptions -o job-sheets=standard,standard), both banner pages are
> > printed, but not the document I try to print...
> >
> > Setting CUPS's LogLevel to debug2 didn't help me finding an indication
> > of what could be wrong. In case anybody is interested: [1]here's what
> > cupsd logs while I'm trying to print a text file.

[...]
> > Please tell if I should provide more information. This is my first
> > CUPS setup, as you may have noticed...
> >

> > Help is appreciated.
> >
> > TIA, Jukka
> >
> > [1] http://salmi.ch/~jukka/cups.log