[cups.general] REgarding the book on cups, how is it differentfrom the free docs?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Apr 20 13:16:55 PDT 2006

wtautz wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>
>> wtautz wrote:
>>
>>> Michael, how does your differ from the free docs one can download?
>>
>> The book goes into a lot more detail and is better organized/edited.
>
> Is there an updated version that covers  the 1.2.X release of cups?

It is in the works.  Unfortunately, I don't know *when* it will
be out due to some issues with our publisher...  I'm hoping soon...

> Or is the current version of the book sufficient. I guess it depends on
> my needs which aren't clear at this point. Basically trying to switch
> from ancient lpr (it's actually the ancestor of lprng since Patrick
> use to work here in University of Waterloo).

The current book is a bit long in the tooth, but most of the
information is still valid.  The main thing is that the web
interface and security stuff is greatly improved, and you won't
find any discussion of it in the old book.

> Does anyone know of online sources that make arguments in favour
> of cups versus other systems.

Google will probably point you to linuxprinting.org and other sites
(besides cups.org :)