[cups.general] Printers running away and spewing pages under CUPS

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Fri Apr 21 10:01:34 PDT 2006

Hi,

I recently installed a print server using CUPS with the intent of
retiring our older Lprng server.  We provide printing services for both
Macs and PCs.  I'm seeing an intermittent  problem under CUPS that I did
not see with Lprng.  A user will submit a job and the printer will print
it over and over again.  CUPS may even tell me that the print job is
done, but a ps -ef (the OS is FC4), I will see a spurious socket process
with a PPID of 1.  Since we do print accounting, the backend is actually
started by a wrapper:

       my $exitval = system {"/usr/lib64/cups/backend/$realBackend"} @argv;

The wrapper itself (the perl system command) thinks the job is done and
the wrapper is no longer, only the backend is.

Has anybody seen this kind of a problem before?  Any idea what's going on.

Thanks.

--

Rob Tanner
UNIX Services Manager