client-error-not-possible when configuring printer

Gary Dale gary at extremeground.com
Tue Apr 25 14:41:51 PDT 2006

This is an interesting error that I can't see anything obviously wrong.

I'm running a Debian Sarge server with a 2.6.15 kernel and a PPTP connector for remote administration. The local workstations are running Windows XP Home (not my idea) and can access files and the printer OK. However, they can't configure the printer (e.g. change the paper size) through the print dialog.

When I connect remotely I can log in to the CUPS webpage, see the printer, view jobs and I can even modify the printer but I can't configure it either. I get the "client-error-not-possible" message.

To be clear: it is only the configure printer options that seem to be misbehaving. People can print OK as long as they don't need to adjust the paper size.

Any suggestions?