Now it works for Mac OSX and Windows clients!

Marcel Zeeuw mzeeuw at terra-zee.nl
Sat Apr 29 03:49:05 PDT 2006

First I struggled al lot with the Avasys driver, which in the end, I had to gave up. There's no binary for the Mac platform, and on my Gentoo server it gave exception from which it bailed out, leaving me with a blank page on the printer. Well you can read my struggle at:

http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/bbs_laser.html; look for subject 'pstoalc1100.sh for Epson AL C1100 seems to have bug'.

This is what I've done (and that works):
At the gentoo i386 server: install the avasys driver for CUPS

At the Mac OSX client:

1 - Install the Epson driver which comes with the printer. Remember this is a USB-only driver
2 - Openup the cups dialog on http://localhost:631/printers, and look for the installed printer; probably called 'AL-C1100'.
3 - click 'modify printer'
4 - change device URI /dev/null to http://<your_server_name>:631/printers/Epson_AL_C1100 where EPSON_AL_C1100 is the name under which you shared you printer from your server.
5 make sure you select 'raw' printing with 'raw-queue' on next page.

Now you should be able to print. Succes. I know its not a really elegant way, because you render at the client side not on the server side... I've got the same thing working for Windows clients (also with the native printer at the client side that comes with the printer).

Succes.