CUPS and LSB

Todd Fujinaka todd.fujinaka at intel.com
Mon Apr 3 10:01:43 PDT 2006

I hope this is the right mailing list for this.

I am looking at libcups for inclusion in the Linux Standard Base, (http://www.linuxbase.org). What we would do is take the higher level printer interface and then create a stub library that only exports the current, non-deprecated interfaces. The stub library links to the system library. This is used to provide a consistent interface to ISVs across distros.

So, what I have to ask is whether my assumptions are correct from the docs I've read on cups.org. Is libcups what I'd use for a higher-level interface? Is cups.h where I find the interfaces to include? How stable has the API/ABI been (only additions, no changes in arg lists, etc)? Is http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/api-cups.html where I find out what is being deprecated and what is current in the API?

Thanks for any help.

Todd Fujinaka