[cups.development] Re: [RFE] STR #1536: Let SMB-Backend use different credentials for each user

Christian Marg christian.marg at tu-clausthal.de
Tue Apr 4 14:59:49 PDT 2006

Hello,

Michael Sweet wrote:
> You need to file this RFE with the Samba folks - smbspool (the smb backend)
> is part of Samba, not CUPS.

Sorry, I should have been more precise - especially since I already read
some CUPS source and the SMBspool-Source at samba.org to see if/how my
RFE could be easily implemented...

Question/RFE to CUPS-Folks:
What happens after the backend replies "CUPS_BACKEND_AUTH_REQUIRED"?

I'd like to have "per job user authentication", if possible with
credential caching. CUPS would need to ask for a username/password on
job submission and then add the "user:password" to the backend URI when
sending the job. And if you don't supply user:password, you should be
able to modify the jobs that failed with "Need Auth" so that they can be
printed later.

I'll ask the SAMBA-Folks the smbspool-specific questions.

bye
Christian