[cups.development] Re: [RFE] STR #1536: Let SMB-Backend usedifferent credentials for each user

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Apr 4 15:07:03 PDT 2006

Christian Marg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>> You need to file this RFE with the Samba folks - smbspool (the smb backend)
>> is part of Samba, not CUPS.
>
> Sorry, I should have been more precise - especially since I already read
> some CUPS source and the SMBspool-Source at samba.org to see if/how my
> RFE could be easily implemented...
>
> Question/RFE to CUPS-Folks:
> What happens after the backend replies "CUPS_BACKEND_AUTH_REQUIRED"?

The job is held, pending authentication.  If the user has
subscribed to job-state events, then they will be notified that
authentication is required.  The client then authenticates the
job which associates their username and password with the job
(and only that job).

> I'd like to have "per job user authentication", if possible with
> credential caching. CUPS would need to ask for a username/password on
> job submission and then add the "user:password" to the backend URI when
> sending the job. And if you don't supply user:password, you should be
> able to modify the jobs that failed with "Need Auth" so that they can be
> printed later.

We currently are only caching credentials for the life of the job.
It will be up to the CUPS client (or Samba backend) to do caching
beyond that.