Interesting about Unsuccessful "make"

Alvaro alvaro at udel.edu
Sun Apr 9 10:02:41 PDT 2006

> > I followed your recommendation and was able to successfuly install CUPS in a G5 MAC with OS 10.4.1 by upgrading CUPS code version. Then we purchased a new MAC Mini for our group, and this one comes with OS 10.4.5. I downloaded the latest CUPS code version, namely cups-1.2rcl. Unfortunately, I'm running again into a compilation error after the "make" command, and it's got to do with the same missing file of the first time. Here's the complete text describing the error:
> >
> > /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
> > lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//cc3QhUh8.out
> > make[1]: *** [libcupsimage.2.dylib] Error 1
> > make: *** [all] Error 1
> >
> > Do you have any idea as to what I might be missing this time?
>
> I've seen this occasionally, but another "make" right after this
> error seems to cure things (some sort of sporatic error due to the
> universal binary compile process I think...)

It's interesting to see what I'm getting after following the recommendation of running an additional "make". At first, I thought I was getting the same exact error, but when I carefully read the error text, I realized the error was different the second time. The file about which the architecture couldn't be figured out was not the same. Then I kept running many "make"s, and everytime the file was different. Here's a few lines that I extracted from my command window:

lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccXoQkEF.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccEFr51B.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccBxtjYq.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccvaw8ys.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//cc2vGqt4.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccr24uV8.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccPK8IAi.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccIeEzXh.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccG1o9tZ.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccGkLFCv.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccBrp7ds.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccM7H15n.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//cc7Ekh4N.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccPClIq3.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//cczEeWow.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccAXMPQJ.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccuMQl8f.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccTqot0l.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccA2RMIu.out
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//cc3UE43p.out

Each of those lines was extracted from the error message obtained after running the "make" command.

I'm wondering whether I should keep running "make" commands and expect that at some point the CUPS code will finally be able to compile or maybe I should look for these errors source somewhere else.

What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot!,

Alvaro.