Interesting about Unsuccessful "make"

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Apr 9 14:30:35 PDT 2006

Alvaro wrote:
>> it looks like you need a version of libtool that's universal-binary aware.
>
> I have never looked at what version of libtool my system is using, nor have I ever attempted to update it or change it. All I know is that my system does have a version at /usr/bin/libtool. I guess it's the one that comes by default with MAC OSX v10.4.5, isn't it? How could I know?
>
> Anyhow, if it needs to be updated, where do you recommend that I look for another version of libtool that will allow me to compile CUPS? An initial google search led me to http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/, do you think that one might work?
>
> And one last question: when I get the libtool version that is needed, do I just replace the existing one with the new one? Do I overwrite the older version?

libtool is not used by the default CUPS build - you have to select it
manually (and we DO NOT support it, so basically don't bother unless
you have to...)

Anyways, CUPS 1.2 should build out-of-the-box on all versions of MacOS
X since 10.2.8 (that's what our oldest Mac is running) using the
standard developer tools installation.  Our nightly build farm
includes an Intel iMac system running with 10.4.5 and Xcode 2.2, and
it has not reported any problems building it (this same Mac is used
for the MacOS X packages on cups.org...)