New SNMP printer discovery backend

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Apr 18 16:45:41 PDT 2006

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> I'm very pleased to have seen the new SNMP printer discovery backend added to 1.2 SVN a few hours ago  :-)
>
> My first test result is very encouraging. I compiled (building in the source directory), yet didn't install, but instead did run the backend directly from the build directory like that:
>
>   kurt at sp:~/cupssrc> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD/cups:$PWD/filter backend/snmp @LOCAL
>
> Guess what? It works :-)

Yay! :)

> It discovers 10 printers within ~2 seconds:

Right, it will only spend a maximum of 3 seconds to find printers
via SNMP, and then probes the standard ports (631, 9100, then 515)
to discover the right URI to use.  As Ira would probably say, we
should be using the new Port Monitor MIB for this, but currently
none of the 76 printers I have in my lab supports it... :(

>   kurt at sp:~/cupssrc> time LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD/cups:$PWD/filter backend/snmp @LOCAL|wc
>   INFO: Using default SNMP Community public
>   ERROR: Bad SNMP packet from 10.162.2.91!
>      10      81     994

You can set the CUPS_DEBUG_LEVEL environment variable to "3" to get
really detailed debug output, plus pass an IP address (or hostname)
on the command-line to probe a single printer.

If you can, please post results for any printers that return an
error (the "Bad SNMP packet from ..." messages) - I'll update the
backend to automatically log the packets with errors.