Signaling printer status from a filter

Josh Mathis josh.m at swecoinus.com
Wed Apr 19 12:50:16 PDT 2006

With the backchannel support in v1.2, I would like to add
vendor-specific printer status support. I can get my appropriate status
via the backchannel write/read functions, but what do I do with this
info? For example, if my printer returns hex 15 01, then that means I
have a paper jam. How do I cancel my current job and then tell CUPS that
I have a paper jam? I didn't see anything particularly helpful in the
documentation. If it is in the docs, please point me there, I'm not
afraid to read!

Also, if it turns out that I can signal errors like paper jam, paper
out, etc, can I also send vendor-specific status information, or am I
limited to a few general printer status messages?

Thanks,

Josh Mathis
josh.m at swecoinus.com