[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1589: snmp backend may prompt for password if probing for IPP device URI (and therfor fail)

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sun Apr 23 05:12:53 PDT 2006

[STR New]

To test it, I did run the snmp backend from the commandline like this, from
inside the build directory:

  CUPS_DEBUG_LEVEL=3 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD/cups:$PWD/filter \
     backend/snmp @IF\(eth0\)

One node responded with prompting for a password, making the process to
seemingly hang.

Closer examination shows that the password prompt happens when the backend
probes for possible valid IPP device URIs.

I think the snmp behaviour should be changed to silently suppress the
password prompt and skip this probe when run non-interactively (and keep
the current behaviour, when running it from interactively [probably add a
-i commandline parameter for this?], as it can prevent the backend from
functioning at all [if there is a timeout, it will delay cupsd startup; if
there is no timeout, it will block cupsd startup].

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1589
Version: 1.2-current