[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #1596: CUPS pstops writes %RBINumCopies: into DSC header

jsmeix.suse jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Apr 25 03:43:33 PDT 2006

[STR New]

CUPS 1.1.23 pstops writes %RBINumCopies: into DSC header
like for example into the DSC header of Mozilla/Firefox:
%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%RBINumCopies: 1
%%Pages: (atend)
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792
%%HiResBoundingBox: 0 0 612 792
%%Creator: Mozilla PostScript module (rv:1.8.0.1/2006040900)
%%DocumentData: Clean8Bit
%%DocumentPaperSizes: Letter
%%Orientation: Portrait
%%PageOrder: Ascend
%%EndComments

According to my understanding of the DSC spec. this is not
conformant because DSC spec. version 3.0 reads:
On page 8:
"DSC comments are specified by two percent characters"
In section 4.1 "Prolog":
"The header consists of DSC comments only"
and I cannot find a DSC keyword "RBINumCopies" in the DSC spec.

In filter/pstops.c the comments indicate that RBINumCopies
seems to be Apple specific.
Perhaps there is only a typo in the line
    puts("%RBINumCopies: 1");
and it should be
    puts("%%RBINumCopies: 1");
to make it a conformant DSC comment?

The bug is so minor that there is no need to fix it for CUPS 1.1
but only if it exists also in CUPS 1.2.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1596
Version: 1.1.23