[cups.general] [Fwd: [Printing-user-general] Whyhas nothingchanged?]

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Aug 1 02:42:20 PDT 2006

Hello,

On Jul 31 11:34 wtautz wrote (shortened):
> Michael Sweet wrote:
> > wtautz wrote:
> >> Michael, Would it be possible to have a per queue log files setup?
> > As for providing separate log files per printer, there are some
> > scaling issues to consider (one file per active printer...) as well
> > as how to expose this in a secure way.
> I have filed STR #1873.

This seems to be almost a duplicate of my old feature request
for per job log files:
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1228

I think logs per queue are still a bit inconvenient for the user
because the messages of the various jobs from various users are
stored in one log file (but then at least no longer mixed up
but in convenient job-by-job order) so that a user may have to
search a bit for the messages of his particular job.

Regarding too many open file descriptors:
Perhaps it is possible to add the log messages per job
to the existing job control file?

I assume that when only INFO, WARN, and ERROR messages are stored,
it should avoid flooding the files with tons of debug messages.

Perhaps simply a reserved block of fixed size for log messages
in the existing job control file is sufficient?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de