Documentation clarification for CUPS newbie

gcr quaternion at comcast.net
Tue Aug 1 17:03:15 PDT 2006

My home system contains a LINUX machine and an WINDOWS XP machine on an ethernet network.  My printer, an HPLaserJet4ML is local to the LINUX machine, hostname foo, which runs CUPS.  Except for a problem I'll describe in a later post, I can print to the printer on foo, but the issue here I'm raising here is what protocol WINDOWS XP is using to access the printer. I added the printer on the WINDOWS machine using the "Add Printer" wizard, and specified the printer as http://foo:631/printers/HPLaserJet4ML , and between that and the fact I can control and query the printer using the CUPS web-based interface, one would think that WINDOWS XP is indeed accessing the printer using CUPS.  However, the top of page 86 of the CUPS Software Administrators Manual specifically states that "While CUPS does not provide WINDOWS support directly, the free SAMBA software package does." However since I haven't configured the samba server on foo, how is my WINDOWS machine accessing the printer? I researched this some over the internet, and if I had to explain what's going on, I'd say WINDOWS is really accessing the printer through IPP rather than CUPS per se, with CUPS providing a web-based interface for the WINDOWS machine, without providing a server capability. Does that sound about right?

gcr