Documentation clarification for CUPS newbie

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Aug 2 12:04:56 PDT 2006

gcr <quaternion at comcast.net> wrote (Wednesday 02 August 2006 11:50):

> BTW, I'm a WINDOWS newbie, but contrary to what's in the reply,
> it's been my understanding that WINDOWS 95,98 did NOT support
> CUPS/IPP, but that support WAS provided in WINDOWS 2000,

Microsoft does *not* support the full specification of IPP 1.1 that
has officially been acknowledged by the IETF as a "recommended
standard".

Microsoft does support IPP 1.0, which never was made an official
IETF recommended standard, but always remained a "draft". IPP 1.0
lacks specs for authentication, and Microsoft just uses one of own
semi-proprietary Windows authentication schemes (maybe NTLM, not
sure) on top of IPP 1.0.

This is true for all of their IPP upgrades (which used to be
available for Win95/98 as well when those OS where not yet put into
the "unsupported" list).

I suggest you file a bug report and feature request with Microsoft
first; they are 5-6 years behind in their IPP support.

Cheers,
Kurt