maybe OT, but ...

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Aug 3 05:01:26 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Helge Blischke wrote:
>
>> Today I encountered a weird thing:
>>
>> printing the same job (consisting of pages of scanned images, the data
>> runlength and ascii85 encoded) from an intel based box (both Linux and
>> UnixWare) prints OK, but when printing from a sparc-solaris box
>> (Solaris 9)
>> produces weird PostScript errors just after the first or 3rd image.
>>
>> The issue is independent of the data transfer protocol used - I tested
>> IPP, AppSocket, and FTP.
>>
>> Has enybody encountered similar errors?
>

> Not here.
>
> Can you run the pstops filter manually on each system and diff the
> output?

I temporarily changed the device uri on both systems to a file and
diff'ed the final files. They are identical. The error occurs even
when sending this final plain file to the printer.

The weird thing is that e.g. ftp-ing the file from the Solaris box
to (e.g.) the UnixWare box, everything is OK, but ftp-ing the same file
from Solaris to the printer produces garbage. It seems that aribtrary
portions of the input data get lost somehow.

As the printer(s) (both a Xerox Phaser 7400 and a HP 4100 dtn) don't
provide measn for a packet trace or similar diagnostic tools, it is
probably quite hard to do more diagnosis.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung