CUPS & strange USB printers problem

Alex Chejlyk alex at swiftnetcomputers.biz
Mon Aug 7 12:02:36 PDT 2006

> juice wrote:
>
> > Look at this:
> > - I,ve got 2 usb printers connected:
> >      crw-rw----  1 root 180, 1 sty  1  1970 lp1
> >      crw-rw----  1 root 180, 0 sty  1  1970 lp0
> > - but something is weird, when I try to localize, which is which:Oct 23
>>SNIP<<
> >
> > BOTH ARE CONNECTED AS /dev/usb/lp0!!
> > does anyone know any kind of solution?
> > my box is gentoo with 2.6.8 kernel
>
> Your "ls -l /dev/usb/" shows that they're not both connected as
> "/dev/usb/lp0" since you have a "/dev/usb/lp1".
>
> Check the output of "lsusb" and match the ID field with the vid:pid you see
> in the log. I don't think "drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0:" is telling
> you what you think it is (but I don't claim to know exactly what the
> usblp0: means).
>
> As for CUPS there is no need to worry, as when properly set up it will not
> use "/dev/usb/lpx" as the DeviceURI but a logical name such as
> usb://HP/color%20LaserJet%203700.
>
> Also, using Gentoo's stock udev rules (I may be assuming too much here)
> which printer is lp0 and which is lp1 can easily change depending on
> discovery order (I believe the first one seen will be lp0, the next lp1,
> etc.). Again this wont trouble CUPS if you're printing to the logical
> DeviceURI.
>
> If you want, or need, a stable, always the same, /dev name for them for
> other purposes you'll need to write some custom udev rules.
>
> Chris

I have a similar issue where I have two usb Epson Photo Stylus R1800 printers. Cups version 1.2.2
When I attempt to configure the first usb port:
(EPSON Stylus Photo R1800 USB #1 (Epson Stylus Photo R1800))
for EPSR1800-1, everything seemingly configures properly, but the system changes the printers usb port to the second usb port:
(EPSON Stylus Photo R1800 USB #2 (Epson Stylus Photo R1800))
All jobs keep going to port 2, EPSR1800-2. The cups device URI shows as:
usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R1800
Is it because of the length of the URI that the cups system can't differentiate between the two ports? I tried using usb://dev/usb/lp0, but Cups 1.2.2 won't allow that if the Device ID is available....

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alex