[cups.general] MacOS X client misbehaving

Marc Lanctot marc.lanctot at mail.mcgill.ca
Mon Aug 7 13:55:34 PDT 2006

Hi guys,

I've recently setup a printing system here at the department of
Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences.

I have a SUSE Linux 9.2 server running CUPS 1.1.23.

I have a department full of printing clients, with a good variety of
operating systems, all of which must print via the print server
(printing directly to the printers is disbled).

My Linux clients are all using CUPS as well, all different versions from
different Linux distros, but they're working like a charm. My SGI IRIX
machines use lp and communicate through the CUPS lpd compatibility
server. For various reasons particular to my setup I could not get
Windows clients to work through Samba nor IPP, so they use LPR to
connect as well.

I have an HP Color Laserjet 4700 using the latest postscript PPD driver
from LinuxPrinting.org, and a queue called say 'Eg-BW' which has the
"Print Color as Gray" flag turned on so that black-and-white printing is
forced when using this queue.

Here's my problem: when I print from Adobe Reader 7.07 on a MacOS 10.3.9
client connecting through LPR to my Linux print server, it overrides the
forced black-and-white setting and prints in color anyway. We charge
each of our users depending on the queue used, so it's important that
the restrictions for each queue work on all clients. This only happens
on the Mac -- I can print properly from all my other clients.

Anybody know how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Marc