Can you make the first page print from a different tray?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Aug 9 00:40:06 PDT 2006

Adam Nielsen <a.nielsen at research.uq.edu.au> wrote (Wednesday 09 August 2006 06:51):

>> > the first page comes out of tray 1, and the rest of the document
>> > comes out of tray 2.  Is this set up possible?
>> lpadmin -p printername -o AP_FIRSTPAGE_InputSlot-default=foo
>
> Thanks for your reply Michael - I tried this and it doesn't give me
> an error, but sending a print job to that printer still prints all
> pages from the same tray (and that's not the one I set 'foo' to above.)
>
> Do I need to do anything else to get it to recognise the new option?

What was your complete lpadmin commandline? What exactly did you use
in place of "foo"?

What was your complete command for the actual printing? Did you use

   lp -d printername -o InputSlot=other-than-foo ?

Also, what is your test document? Is it a PDF?

Which PPD are you using for the printer?

Can you post the output of this command:

   grep -C 2 \*DefaultInputSlot: /etc/cups/ppd/<yourprintername.ppd>

?

Last, if your printer is a PostScript device, can you set up a print
queue with the same PPD that prints to a file? Then print a not too
large document, and let us investigate the output?

  lpadmin -p fileprinter -v file:/tmp/outputfile.ps -E -P /etc/cups/ppd/<yourprintername.ppd>
  lpadmin -p fileprinter -o AP_FIRSTPAGE_InputSlot-default=<something-matching-your-PPD>
  lp -d fileprinter /etc/cups/mime.types
  egrep -A 15 '(%%Page: 1 |%%Page: 2 )' /tmp/outputfile.ps

> Thanks,
> Adam.

Cheers,
Kurt