remote printing works no more with cups-1.2

Juergen Rose rose at uni-potsdam.de
Wed Aug 9 02:57:10 PDT 2006

I have a computer A with a Laserjet at the parallel Interface, with the name Laserjet1300 configured as parallel:/dev/lp0. Printing on Computer a works without problems. Then there is a computer B which tries to print to ipp://computer_A:631/printers/Laserjet1300. At both computers runs cups-1.2.2.
With cups-1.1.?? printing from computer B at printer at computer A was fine. If I print now from computer B I find a stopped job at computer A and the message
"/usr/libexec/cups/filter/rastertohp failed" at ttp://localhost:631/printers/ at computer A. Furthermore I find in /var/log/cups/error_log, that /usr/libexec/cups/filter/rastertohp returned with status 1.

If print the same document from computer A and look into the print queue, I see that the job from A has almost the double size of the job from B.
I assume that cups on computer B converts the postscript document to HP format and then cups on computer A tries to convert HP format to HP format with rastertohp once more, which is not successfully. But I don't understand why:

    1) in /etc/cups/mime.types is
          application/octet-stream
       uncommented
    2) in /etc/cups/mime.convs is
          application/octet-stream    application/vnd.cups-raw    0   -
       uncommented

I supposed that therefore octed-streams should be sent directly to the printer. Am I wrong? Which part of configuration should I modify.
Any hint is appreciated?

     Regards Juergen

        Gruesse Juergen