[cups.general] Is there a way I can spy on IPP transactions?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Aug 9 17:27:10 PDT 2006

wtautz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess in answer to my query (see subject line of message) is that
> I could use a network sniffer, but I would presume that I could create
> an intermediate backend.
>
> spybackend:ipp// .....or something. Probably in the dev. docs but
> these don't appear to exist for version 1.2.2.

No, that won't help unless all you care about is the print data, in
which case a port monitor might be the simpler approach; put it in
/usr/lib/cups/monitor and then use:

     lpadmin -p printer -o port-monitor=foo

to associate it with the queue.  Port monitors use the same filter
interface as everything else...