Printing to file with CUPS.

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Aug 10 00:58:12 PDT 2006

Piotr <piotrwie at gmail.erase-me.com> wrote (Wednesday 09 August 2006 15:42):

> And buying a book for 50$ + shipment to Poland = 70$ is exactly
> a  price for OEM Redmond's system which makes it flawlessly.

Hahaha....

(I'm paid, and my employer gets customer contracts, to solve Windows
printing problems. It's not working as flawlessly as you imagine...)

> simple... magic... and really nice checkbox... "Print to file..."
> Where are you?  my 70$ worth checkbox...

Use KDE!

* Start "kprinter".

* Load a printable file
  (or drag'n'drop one, after expanding dialog using "Options >>").

* Find the "Print to File (PostScript)" and "Print to File (PDF)"
  printers in the dropdown list of printers.

These printers are *always* there in KDE, since 5 years!

They work wether you've CUPS enabled or not. They work from every
application as well.

Once you're done, consider to donate at least half of your saved
70$ to KDE :-))  They'll put it to good use:

   http://dot.kde.org/1153321332/
   http://www.kde.org/support/support.php
   http://www.kde.org/support/donations.php

Cheers,